Growing indoors / H series

Growing indoors / H series »
Firmware 2024022700: constant hBus errors

René
28 Feb, 07:47
After receiving an update to firmware version 2024022700 the unit keeps powercycling the grow lights. When it happens, the display shows a generic error message ( hBus fault, restarting ), then you can hear a click, like from a relay ( I guess it actuall is a relay :D ), the lights turn off and on again.

Sometimes it happens twice per minute, sometimes there's ten or more minutes between the problem, but it persists. Powercycling the whole H2 does not help.

I've attached a log file. Every time the logs says "hBus restart" is one occurence of the problem. I'm quite sure that the L-sync message is also new, at least I can't remember it from when I checked out the logs after assembling the unit.

René
28 Feb, 10:22
The clicking sound comes from the relay on the board above the nursery. I have unplugged the H2 from mains, then unplugged every device from the board. After powering on again the errors seem to persist, the relay still keeps switching.

Charlotte
ADMIN
28 Feb, 10:24
Thank you for letting us know about this problem. We will take a look and get back to you as soon as we can.

Chris
ADMIN
29 Feb, 13:45
Hi Rene
This is a known issue with the firmware that went out to introduce "night mode" - I will get it fixed this afternoon and let you know.
Chris

René
02 Mar, 18:06
I have been updated to 2024022900, but now I have to deal with the dreaded consequences of my own actions, but don't know how.

While trying to deal with the bug, I removed my two H2 modules using the respective buttons. Now I'd like to add them again, but I can't figure out how. I restarted the bus, I rebooted the H2 several times, but either the discovery doesn't run, doesn't work, or most likely it doesn't work like I think it does.

For now, I have the grow lights of the lower module plugged into the light plug directly on the board, but sooner or later I will have to use the second level.

So, how can I rediscover the two modules?

Chris
ADMIN
04 Mar, 09:23
Hi Rene

If you repower the whole system, it should discover the two levels on the bus. The screen will show "H1 found" , "H2 found" when it boots ( they only flash up briefly! ). If it doesn't discover them, they have not booted properly - the blue light won't be flashing.

If they have been previously discovered, then this "non-boot" will cause an hBus fault [after 10 consecutive 'level not found' faults] which will restart the hbus power. However in your case, having removed them from config, you'll need to turn the system off+on. A discovery process runs on every power up.

You may have spotted the "screen on" and "screen off" times on the latest firmware too; to make it less flashy at night.

Version 2024030400 also shuts off the round green button light when the screen is off.

Chris
ADMIN
04 Mar, 10:46
Version 2024030400 has more stable hBus error detection, let us know if you are still seeing continual hBus restarts on this version.

James_Murnaghan
04 Mar, 11:14
I’m still seeing issues of lights switching on and off and reporting a hbus fault on my H3 with the latest firmware. I only noticed the issue today. Firmware 2024030400

Chris
ADMIN
04 Mar, 11:34
OK, I've updated to 2024030401 - can you let me know how that goes?

All our test boxes here work fine on prior versions so there may be something local to yours which is causing more electrical noise.

James_Murnaghan
04 Mar, 14:48
No improvement unfortunately. Nothing has changed at my end, except switching off the nursery light yesterday…..

René
04 Mar, 18:25
Powering the board on and off does not help, the units are not rediscovered. The blue lights are flashing, restarting the hBus does not help.

The nursery and water tank sensors are not read, it seems. Temperature and EC values are displayed as 0. Interestingly, the water level sensor still works.

Is there anything I can do to send you more debug data? Do you have debug output on a UART on the board? I am able to read that, if it helps.

Chris
ADMIN
05 Mar, 10:20
Hi folks, I've updated your devices to a temporary firmware version ( 2024030500 ) which prevents the hBus power cycle on a fault, which will at least keep the main lights from flashing on and off.

It looks like the source of the problem is a noisy power supply, which causes trouble on the hBus line when the PSU is loaded ( ie you have all lights on ). Some PSUs within our latest delivery are fine, and some appear more troublesome than others.

Accepting more faults on the hBus before restarting is one option, but it looks like we may need to fix this properly with a hardware change; a stronger pull-up on the hBus. If you feel comfortable adding a 4.7K resistor to your black light board, let me know and I'll send info. Otherwise, we'll send out replacement light control boards for you.

The nursery temperature sensor is on the same hBus, so that may be showing 0C if there's a particularly noisy power supply.

The water temperature and EC sensor is on Serial and should not be affected by a noisy power supply in the same way.

The water level sensor is a simple analog voltage for on/off.

Rene - could I ask you to unplug the nursery temperature sensor and restart the hBus via the Device Control Panel? You should hear the relay clicking on and off and see the power cycled on the black PCBs. We do have a serial port which can be read via FTDI adapter, I'll email you details separately.

René
17 Mar, 16:31
Hi Chris, I was busy the last two of weeks and couldn't deal with the H-Series problems. I got it running with one grow light plugged directly into the board, so there luckily was no immediate pressure.

To recap: after power cycling the unit, the two levels are not rediscovered. I can see that the boards on the back are both blinking blue. It looks like the EC sensor is not working, but that might be unrelated to this particular problem, I remember reading on here that you were working on this seperately. The nursery temp sensor also reports 0.

Restarting the hBus through the menu doesn't have any noticable effect. I did as you asked me and unplugged the nursery temp sensor, then restartet, no effect. I'm on firmware 2024030500. I noticed that the relay doesn't click anymore when I restart using the menu, for whatever reason. It still seems to work, though, toggling the light using the front button still switches the relay, and it also clicks when booting.

I have quite a few different devices that I can use to read UART, so that's not a problem. I haven't taken a good enough look at the board to see where the pins could be, so please let me know where the pins are and which pin is which signal. If it's anything else than 115200, 8N1, then please also mention that so that I don't have to try so many times :D

Regarding the soldering, I'm afraid I'd rather have replacement boards. I don't have the necessary parts at hand.

René
24 Mar, 21:31
Hey team, any news regarding my problem? I‘d very much like to have a completely functional unit back.

Chris
ADMIN
09 Apr, 12:13
Hi Rene, we are getting closer to a solution. It requires hardware updates on the PCBs unfortunately. I'll get in touch by email.

René
27 Apr, 12:45
Hi Chris, any idea when that might happen? I started out using only the lower section and plugged it directly to the board, but by now I need to start using the second level because I'm quickly running out of space. I'd be very grateful for a solution.

Register for a free account and join the Harvst community.