Irrigation

Irrigation »
Automatic watering despite humidity being above level when no watering should happen

TheGardenerOfKent
20 May, 10:12
Hi Chris and team,

Love this system, just tweaking it and getting it set up, but can see that it should be amazing, so thank you.

There appears to be an issue when my timed watering occurred this morning at 0900 despite the fact the humidity levels were above 70% ( 80odd ) and I have said no watering above that level.

Not sure if I've not set it up correctly or if there is an issue with your Boolean logic.

This is a solar watermate using a wireless humidity sensor and a silver bullet sensor.

Both zones have no watering above 70% humidity from wireless sensor. That was ignored this morning.

I've got children, I'm used to having my instructions ignored.

Let me know if you need more information.

Many thanks
Damien

Al
21 May, 08:12
Hello. I was going to report exactly the same! This morning ( gloomy cold and wet in Aberdeen ) watering went ahead despite a reading of 86% humidity when I have it set not to water over 80%.

Chris
ADMIN
22 May, 09:32
I think there is some confusion here - you can't prevent watering using an [air] humidity sensor, only a soil moisture sensor. It does look like a paired humidity sensor does appear as a soil moisture sensor in the web app though, which is the root of the confusion.

It would be possible to prevent watering based on high air humidity, but is that something you would find valuable?

TheGardenerOfKent
22 May, 09:33
Same issue again this morning. Humidity/moisture 84%, water set to not water over 70% and yet it kicked off the timed morning watering routine and has now saturated my seedlings.
Can you please look into this.
Many thanks
Damien

TheGardenerOfKent
22 May, 09:38
I'm using the moisture/humidity sensor to judge whether it's worth watering. If it's low humidity/high temp in the day I kick off my overhead sprayers to reduce temp/increase humidity. The other watering zone is my main watering zone which once again I only want to run if temperature/humidity sensors report it is necessary. How/why else would you use the moisture/humidity sensor?

Chris
ADMIN
22 May, 09:41
We also do a soil moisture sensor, which is where there's some confusion. It's a probe that sits in the soil, and was developed with the controller zone 1/2 firmware, assuming that all watering was ground level into the soil.

Since then we have developed the air humidity sensor as well, but that's only linked to the aux controls which were intended for additional things like misting. I can see the use case here though - we will get the humidity sensor readings hooked into the "don't water above X" logic for zone 1 + 2 as soon as we can.

TheGardenerOfKent
22 May, 09:45
I'm talking about a 4m by 3m polytunnel here. I think I would need way too many soil sensors to be practicable. Humidity sensor - or ideally a few for further zoning -seemed the obvious solution. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

TheGardenerOfKent
22 May, 09:46
Amazing, thank you

TheGardenerOfKent
22 May, 09:49
I guess the next iteration would be to add further solenoids to provide more zoning/granular watering. I guess it's maybe the difference between the sprout systems and using it in a polytunnel?

Al
22 May, 10:40
Good to hear that the air humidity will be linked in to the ‘don’t water’ command at some point. Can you prompt us when it is done?

TheGardenerOfKent
09 Jul, 19:47
The watering based on humidity appears to be working. Thank you. No AM daily watering this morning as humidity too high, PM watering kicked in a charm as humidity had dropped below threshold.

Chris
ADMIN
10 Jul, 12:55
Perfect, glad to hear it. For the AIR humidiy to be used in the algorithm ( vs the soil moisture ), you'll need to be on the latest firmware which is 2023070600. Al - if you can put your box into online mode, it will do a firmware update.

Al
15 Jul, 13:33
Thank you Chris. What a great system it is, and this will make it even better.

Register for a free account and join the Harvst community.