Irrigation

Irrigation »
Water Pump Hunting With Drippers But OK With Jets Resolved

Steve.Smith
19 Jun, 11:30
Hi. I have just set up my offline water mate pro system in 2 seperate zones connected in rings. Z1 has jets fitted and when the pump runs its fine. Z2 has 6 tap offs each with 4 or 5 drippers, when it runs after a few seconds the pump starts and stops and after several seconds an audible high/low alarm sounds. This continues until the end of the run program.

I have read all the control forum pages and noted a few fixes ( aeration, low water alarm, ect ) and have tried these, but to no avail.

Does any one have an idea? I was thinking perhaps I don't have enough outlets so pressure is building up in Z2 above allowable limits?

I do have a video but cannot upload due to size, if it would help.

Chris
ADMIN
19 Jun, 11:37
Hi Steve
If the pro pump stops and restarts, it's likely that its high-pressure cut-out switch it being triggered. This would trigger the low water / pumping fault alarm. I think your analysis could be right ... the way to prove it's "not enough outlets" would be to disconnect the irrigation pipes and try it "open circuit"
Chris

Steve.Smith
20 Jun, 10:41
Hi, I've just increased the tap offs to 10 from 6 and drippers to from 21 to 27, but still no luck. Pump starts cycling after 10 seconds. Can I add sprays into the circuit to decrease the pressure? Although I seem to remember having read you should not, is that correct.

Feeling a little fed up at the moment, never mind the hours spent down here trying to sort this.

Chris
ADMIN
21 Jun, 21:02
Hi Steve
It doesn't actually matter if the pump is kicking into the high-pressure cutoff, if it's pushing water out properly then you're all good ( you'd just need to turn off the pump alarm / low water siren ). If the pressure is cutting the pump off with that many drippers though, you either have a blockage elsewhere ( try eliminating things by removing them - solenoids / joints etc ) ... or your pump cut-off is too sensitive. All pumps should leave here at maximum pressure, and they are also factory tested, so it's unlikely to be that. On the off chance, you could open the cut-off adjustment cap on the top of the pump and make sure the grub screw is about 6-8mm screwed out. There is a direction indicating arrow on the grub screw for adjusting it.
Chris

Steve.Smith
04 Jul, 08:38
Hi. I didn't fancy messing with the grub screw. I added 2 more outlets each with 4 drippers and it seems to have worked. The pump now runs without hunting / oscillating. So all good.

Thanks for the assist.

Chris
ADMIN
04 Jul, 09:43
Brilliant - great stuff Steve.

Jilly94
04 Jul, 18:09
Hello, I had this issue today and was sent this link by HARVST for info. Rather than fit extra drippers to my system I added an extra 4mm pipe to the far end of my 13mm perimeter and returned that pipe back to the water tank feed with a 4mm tap to regulate the return flow. This has done the trick and my pump works continually. Turns out there was no need for the 4mm tap on my system as it needs to be fully open. Any closure of the tap causes the pump to start turning on / off with the pressure buildup. Hope this helps !! Neil

This support query has been marked as resolved

Register for a free account and join the Harvst community.