Irrigation

Irrigation »
Siphoning Resolved

Lloyd_Martin
23 Oct, 14:30
Hi I installed my mini system recently. I didn’t need to use two zones so I didn’t install the water valve. I connected the main water tubing to directly to the pump. I then noticed after the timed watering period had ended the drippers continued to drip on third own.

After a bit of research I realised that the water was being naturally siphoned from the water but and therefore quickly emptying the water butt and saturating the plant soils.

To stop the siphoning effect I’m going to try and use a Pressure Regulator, ( 1.7 bar ), for Garden Irrigation Systems Quick Connector, used with Standard Garden Hose By Hozelock

Any comments would be appreciated.

link › product
link

Lloyd_Martin
23 Oct, 14:36
Hozelock 7022 Pressure Regulator
link

Lloyd_Martin
23 Oct, 14:37
Hozelock 7022 Pressure Regulator
Pressure Regulator

Reduces your tap water pressure for Automatic Watering systems

Key Benefits Include:

•Can be used in conjunction with Automatic Watering controllers
•Includes connectors for both 13mm & 4mm hose
•Includes accessory adaptor allowing you to fit the Pressure Regulator onto a hose connector
•Fits both 1/2” ( G1/2 ) and 3/4” ( G3/4 ) BSP taps
£10.38
19 IN STOCK
Qty:

Harvst HQ
ADMIN
23 Oct, 17:53
Hi Lloyd - while this should stop the siphoning, it's likely to be too much of a pressure block for the small pump to push through properly; your drippers ( and any sprayers ) on the system probably won't perform very well.

I would recommend using the water valves supplied with the Watermate; when the pump is not running the valves are off and will definitely stop any water siphoning from your tank.

Lloyd_Martin
23 Oct, 20:04
Hi Chris
Thanks for the advise. All the Architectural plants are on my balcony, so outside. Is the water valve waterproof/weatherproof as it will be exposed to the elements, rain etc.

Harvst HQ
ADMIN
23 Oct, 20:32
The valves are weather resistant but I wouldn't go so far as saying weather proof - it would be prudent to cover them from direct rain. Watermate is intended for greenhouses and polytunnels where the valves are under cover - but a weatherproof case for the valves is something on our product roadmap for the future.

Harvst HQ
ADMIN
27 Nov, 11:42
We also now supply an anti-siphon valve if you're not using our water valves ( some of the Sprout greenhouse models come without water valves too ) ... they are in the shop here: link

Harvst HQ
ADMIN
27 Nov, 11:43
Here's what it looks like when fitted

This support query has been marked as resolved

Register for a free account and join the Harvst community.