WaterMate : Other

WaterMate : Other »
Pump inlet distance? Resolved

Deejay
17 Apr, 19:20
Will a WaterMate Pro with pump be able to pump water from a source 15m to 26m away, with a 1m head?

I bought a WaterMate Pro that I'm yet to assemble. I intend to use it to water a no-dig vegetable patch at a remote site that I visit only once or twice a week.

There's a small stable between 15-30m away from the vegetable patch which I can add guttering to, and I was intending to connect this to an IBC tank for water storage, and have the WaterMate Pro's pump fed from there. The vegetable patch is 1m higher than said stable ( so 1m head ).

The leaflet in the WaterMate Pro box says that it can only pump from up to 10m away. However when I was looking on the Harvst website, a couple of quotes made me *think* that the pump would be suitable for my use-case:

> The WaterMate Pro pump can provide water for many tens of metres of pipe, and up to 5m of vertical head.

> We provide 4m of inlet hose ( between the water tank and the pump ) but the system will run with at least 10m of inlet hose and a 4m vertical head.

I'm guessing the first is a mis-read on my part, and is referring to the outlet side of the pump. Is the second one a typo, and should it read "with at most 10m of inlet hose"?

Chris
ADMIN
17 Apr, 19:25
Hi Deejay - you are right it should read "up to 10m of inlet hose" ... however I am due to install a long-reach pump system with an IBC and 5m head at a test site this week. It will be a separate pumping system [using our Pro pump], feeding a smaller tank at the polytunnel end, which will then run the watermate. I will let you know.

Deejay
19 Apr, 07:47
Thanks for the reply! So will you be using two pumps - one to feed from the IBC to the smaller tank, and another hooked up to the WaterMate Pro as-per-usual?

I wonder what is the worst that can happen if I just try setting it up with a very long inlet run. Hopefully it's a matter of either it works or it doesn't, as opposed to putting the pump under strain that causes it to burn out or fail early.

Deejay
19 Apr, 20:33
I happened to visit the eventual usage site today, and tried out the WaterMate Pro with a really rather long hose ( about 25m, I think ) and the pump managed just fine. It was making a lot of beeping for what I think was the low water alert. I've got a vague recollection that this is expected behaviour with the solar-powered version anyway?

Chris
ADMIN
20 Apr, 16:20
You beat me to it! I set up a similar system today; 6m inlet pipe with 2m head. 30m outlet pipe with a further 3m head. Pro pump with a solar unit to pump water from an IBC to the polytunnel feed tank. At the moment this is on a timer, but we will automate it with a tank level sensor soon.

This support query has been marked as resolved

Register for a free account and join the Harvst community.