Wireless sensors

Wireless sensors »
Wireless sensor stopped sending regular updates after recharging battery Resolved

TheGardenerOfKent
20 Oct, 18:54
Hi Harvst team,

I used my wireless temp/moisture sensor all summer without any issues.

After the battery needed to be recharged it now only seems to be reporting temp/moisture 2-4 times a day.

The battery is displaying full.
The sensor is still paired with the watermate.
The sensor firmware is 2023050200.

What tests can I run on the sensor to narrow down the problem?

Many thanks
Damien

Chris
ADMIN
25 Oct, 14:08
Hi Damien
Could you try running it in wifi mode ( direct to your internet rather than paired ) ? We can then monitor it more accurately, and run a firmware update on it if needed. Let me know if/when you can make the change.
Chris

Chris
ADMIN
25 Oct, 14:16
Have a look here for how to update firmware: link

TheGardenerOfKent
25 Oct, 19:32
Hi Chris, thanks for getting back to me.

I managed to update my firmware the other day, it is now at 2023071800.

The sensor appears to be doing more regular updates now, but still misses the odd one.

Can you explain the difference between standalone and paired mode. Pros/cons.

Pairing normally suggests Bluetooth or some such communication rather than using ethernet/wifi connection.

Chris
ADMIN
25 Oct, 20:33
Good stuff.

Standalone reports data directly to your Harvst account and the WaterMate controller isn't aware of the info. Paired with the controller means it can use the sensor data for triggering watering, fans, misters etc. It's another way to extend the range, as the sensor only needs to reach the WaterMate controller and then the controller forwards data to your Harvst account.

When standalone ( direct to wifi ), missed data is stored on the sensor and then resent to the Harvst server when it later gets the connection. When paired with a controller, missed data is not retained.

It's a very precise timing situation between a paired sensor and a solar WaterMate controller; both have to be awake at the same time, but the sensor needs to be asleep almost all of the time to maximise battery life. There's a load of code in there to deal with this and catch late or early sensors, and to ensure precision, but from time to time one data point or two may drop out.

TheGardenerOfKent
25 Oct, 20:47
Perfect, that all makes sense.

In that case I would say this is all sorted, the firmware update seems to have done the trick.

So in future, switch to standalone/perform update/see if resolved.

Thanks again

This support query has been marked as resolved

Register for a free account and join the Harvst community.