Soil heating cables

We've been trialling some 12 volt soil heating cables in a couple of our Harvsters and they are looking good. It's hard to tell exactly now much heat transfer is getting into the soil, as soil is such a poor conductor of heat, but with the soil encased in a well insulated wooden raised bed, the whole growing environment sits nicely a few degrees above ambient temperature.

If you woud like to test our cable, post a message and we'll be in touch. They are 4 metres long, and consume about 5 amps when cold. As they heat up, they self-regulate and use less power. The maximum theoretical temperature is 40 degrees C (but you'll never get to that unless it's coiled up on the desk inside).

Low voltage soil heating cable.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Chris, would these work with the Eurotainers? Eg. Coil around in one then go up and over the sides of the container into a second container etc? If so, which connection point on the control board would we need to use to run it?

Thank you 

Emma

Hi Emma - the cable is a bit too stiff to run in and out of boxes - but our regular heater pads (like this one: https://www.harvst.co.uk/product/greenhouse-heater-pad/ ) are spot on for euro crates. One of these in the bottom under the soil will keep the soil in a crate at your chosen temperature (when ambient gets down to near zero you can keep the soil up to ten without too much trouble, as long as you have them in a draft-free space, like a Harvster)

We have a heater pad in the bottom of every large tub in the Harvster and it keeps the whole interior warmer.

More stock is due in at the start of January - I'll send you a couple to test if you like?

Thanks Chris, that’d be great if I can test some please?! Happy to buy too though? My only concern is where I can plug them in as I have so much connected to my control unit already......9 things in total! (2 of the red prototype heat pads that I’m using for seed trays, 3 silver temperature sensors, 1 black moisture/temperature sensor, water level sensor, water pump and solenoids)......what do you think? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Emma. You can plug in up to 8 heaters to the new control unit, in two sets of four. Each set is controlled by one thermostat, so typically you'd have 4 heaters in the bottom large tubs, and 4 heaters in seed trays, at a low temperature, for propagating / germinating seeds. I'll email you directly.