Novice Gardener - Fitting Out Harvster With Crates and Seed Trays & Heating

Today I installed my Harvst Terrace greenhouse, installed on a paved area, with mains power and water tank (with pump), I also have some Harvst heat pads.

I am a novice gardener and have some questions about best way to do initial setup, so that I can start my gardening adventure.

Greenhouse Shelf

The Harvst site says that the shelves hold "standard" seed trays.

Looking at online garden stores, I can find "full size" seed trays with holes (37.5cm x 23cm x 6cm) are these suitable ?

I have seen some photos on this forum showing a metal grid being used on the shelf, with seed trays sat on the grid. 

Would I be better off fitting a mesh grid on the shelf so that I can use any size tray or pot ?

Greenhouse Base

Again the Harvst site suggests using "standard 600mm Eurocrates"

What depth of crate should I buy ?

What do I need to do for drainage ?

If I am planning to use heatpads 

Heating 

What is the best method for using heat pads with seed trays ?

What is the best method for using heat pads with the euro crates ?

I appreciate any help or advice any of the forum members can offer, and I will provide updates on how I get on.

Neil the Newbie

IMG_3110.jpeg

On 2/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, Neil said:

Today I installed my Harvst Terrace greenhouse, installed on a paved area, with mains power and water tank (with pump), I also have some Harvst heat pads.

I am a novice gardener and have some questions about best way to do initial setup, so that I can start my gardening adventure.

Greenhouse Shelf

The Harvst site says that the shelves hold "standard" seed trays. Looking at online garden stores, I can find "full size" seed trays with holes (37.5cm x 23cm x 6cm) are these suitable ? Yes - those are best.

I have seen some photos on this forum showing a metal grid being used on the shelf, with seed trays sat on the grid.  Would I be better off fitting a mesh grid on the shelf so that I can use any size tray or pot ? If you can find a grid that works too, however I can't recommend a good source yet. Some customers have had a suitable mesh lying around.

Greenhouse Base

Again the Harvst site suggests using "standard 600mm Eurocrates" What depth of crate should I buy ? Around 20cm is good for many crops.

What do I need to do for drainage ? If I am planning to use heatpads: Drill holes around the edges of the base, but not where the heater pad would be. We'll get a blog or forum post up soon with more details on this.

Heating 

What is the best method for using heat pads with seed trays ? We suggest putting a heat pad between two seed trays. You can stick the pad to the top (inside) of the bottom seed tray if you like, but you don't have to. It's OK for water to run through and over the heater pad. The paper backing to the adhesive won't last in the wet, so if you want to stick it on, do it before it gets wet. Again, we'll get a forum / blog post up soon.

What is the best method for using heat pads with the euro crates ?

We use them stuck into the middle of the base, on the inside. Drill a couple of small holes for cable ties to secure the wire as it exits the tub so it doesn't get pulled off. I'll add details to the upcoming post about how to use heater pads.

I appreciate any help or advice any of the forum members can offer, and I will provide updates on how I get on.

Neil the Newbie

Hi Neil

Thank you for the comprehensive set of questions! Hopefuly my replies will be useful for you and others. I've put replies in the quoted block above.

• Thanks 1